Power and network connectivity are essential for your Ring camera to function correctly. Whether you’re setting up your Ring camera for the first time or need to change its Wi-Fi network, this step-by-step guide will walk you through the process. Ensure a seamless connection to enhance your home security and access your camera from the Ring app.
Requirements: Before you begin, make sure you have the following:
- A compatible Wi-Fi network with a 2.4 GHz frequency (Ring cameras are not compatible with 5 GHz networks).
- A mobile device connected to the same 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network.
- The Ring app is installed on your mobile device and a verified Ring user account.
- Your Ring camera or doorbell should be in setup mode, usually indicated by a flashing blue light.
Step 1: Download and Set Up the Ring App If you haven’t already, download the Ring app from your device’s app store. Create a Ring user account and verify it.
Step 2: Add a New Device Once your account is set up, follow these steps to connect your Ring camera to Wi-Fi:
- Launch the Ring App.
- If you have no prior devices, tap the “Set Up a Device” icon. Otherwise, navigate to Menu > Devices > Add New Device.
- Select your device category, such as “Security Cams.”
- Power up your Ring device by inserting batteries or connecting it to an outlet. Wait for about 30 seconds for it to enter setup mode.
- Scan the QR code on the device to initiate setup.
- Choose or create a new Location for your Ring camera and continue.
- Give your camera a name and remove any protective film.
- Confirm that your camera is in pairing mode with a flashing blue light and tap “The Light is Flashing Blue.”
- Connect to the Ring Network by selecting “Join” on the popup message.
- Enter your Wi-Fi network credentials.
- Once successfully connected, you’ll receive a confirmation alert. Follow the final suggestions to complete the setup.
Step 3: Customize Your Camera Settings After successfully connecting your Ring camera to Wi-Fi, customize its settings according to your preferences. You can enable motion detection, motion alerts, and more from the Ring app.
Changing Wi-Fi on a Ring Camera: If you need to change the Wi-Fi network for your Ring camera, follow these steps:
Option 1: Change Wi-Fi Network via Ring App
- Open the Ring app on your mobile device.
- Navigate to the camera settings tab from the home screen or the Devices tab.
- Tap the “Device Health” tile and scroll down to the Network section.
- Select the “Change Wi-Fi Network” option and confirm.
- Ensure your camera is in setup mode with a flashing blue light. If not, reset it to enter pairing mode.
- Connect to the Ring camera hotspot by tapping “Join” on the popup message.
- Enter your new Wi-Fi network credentials.
- When you receive a successful connection alert, tap “Continue” to finish the process.
Factory Reset and Re-setup If you cannot find the “Change Wi-Fi Network” option, or if it fails, you can factory reset the camera and set it up again. Keep in mind that this will erase the current settings, so remove the device from the Ring app before re-adding it.
Connecting your Ring camera to Wi-Fi is a crucial step in enhancing your home security. Follow the steps outlined in this guide to ensure a smooth setup process and enjoy the convenience of monitoring your property through the Ring app. Whether you’re setting up a new camera or changing your Wi-Fi network, these instructions will help you achieve a successful connection.